Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Rock Painting

I've gotten behind on blogging again.  We had our trip to Portland in early February and I feel like I've been playing catch-up since we got home.  I actually just remembered that I never posted this from mid-January.  Oops.  I'm getting back in the swing of things and I'll have a new recipe this Friday and a Date At Home idea coming soon.  Meanwhile, here's a fun idea for preschoolers.

Thursdays are crazy days.  We spend them at my parents' house with my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew.  Last Thursday (which is not actually last Thursday since I wrote this in January, but you don't really care, do you?), I got to have some time with just Jake while the others ran a couple of errands, so we did a project that is best for kids that are older than Sammy.  We did rock painting.  I had seen it on a blog not too long ago and was looking forward to trying it, and it didn't disappoint.

The first thing Jake and I did was to go on a rock hunt.  We looked for rocks (in our case it was chunks of old concrete - haha!) that were 1-3 inches across.  Not too big, not too small.  Once he had a few that he liked we came inside to wash, dry, and paint the rocks.  Make sure they are nice and clean and then dried completely or the paint won't stick. To paint the rocks, find a sturdy plastic container that you don't mind getting yucky and that has a strong lid.  (A sturdy container is important.  We tried using cheap Rubbermaid Take-Alongs and they cracked almost immediately.  Bummer!)  Squirt some acrylic paint in the container and drop in your rock.  Then put the lid on and shake shake shake!  I recommend only offering 2-3 colors at a time.  I let Jake put his own paint in and, of course, he wanted all seven colors which turned into brown once they combined and kind of defeated the purpose since rocks are already brown.  To fix that we squirted some paint on the lid of the bowl and used toothpicks to splatter the rock with stripes.  We set them on wax paper to dry which took several hours.  Once they were done Jake was proud to show off his rock garden!






No comments:

Post a Comment