Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Here We Go Again

I wrote last year about how much I hate New Year's Resolutions.  I never make it it past mid-January before I break mine.  And then I just get irritated with myself.  Nevertheless, I find myself on January 1st thinking of all the things I want to do differently this year.  It seems I just can't help myself.  So as we start this new year here are a few thoughts that are bouncing around in my resolution-hating brain.

1)  Sam is five-and-a-half months old.  The holidays are over.  My excuses for eating crappy food and wearing baggy clothes are gone.  Tonight I will binge on junk food, and tomorrow I will start my exercise regimine and healthy meal planning.  Not to lose weight or fit into smaller pants - but because it's what I need to do.  Just don't ask me to be happy about it. 

2) I set a goal to read 40 books in 2012.  Last year I read 27 books, but my total was less than normal due to a wonderful little "disturbance" in mid-July.  I'm thinking that I can average one book every ten days.  It does not bode well that I am starting the year in the middle of a massive series that will probably take longer than average to complete.  But I can make up for it by reading a few short brainless books later in the year.  Right?

3) I am not a morning person.  I believe if God wanted humans to see the sun rise he would have made it rise closer to 9 AM.  Also, I never eat breakfast.  I don't like it.  The smell of eggs is not an appealing thing to me.  And maple syrup is just too sweet and sticky.  But my husband loves it.  So I will make an effort to get up on weekday mornings and make him breakfast.  Usually I would say that I'll just have my early-morning Dr Pepper and that would make it easier, but now I have to take #1 into consideration.  I'm already annoyed by this situation.

4) I did a scrapbook of my nephew's first year for my mom.  Then, when my niece was on the way we bought the materials for me to do a book for her as well.  She is almost 15 months old, and I have not started the book.  It's a problem.  Don't worry, Mom - I'm on it.

Those are my specific goals.  I think what it all boils down to is that I want to be more intentional about things.  The last few months have been such a whirlwind that I've gotten away from any kind of steady schedule, and I always seem to be behind where I want to be.  Now is the perfect time to take steps to correct that problem. 

By the way, I will post more later (once I get some pictures from my dad's camera), but here's a general idea of how Sam's first Christmas went...


Happy New Year!  I hope your 2012 is full of challenges and blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS PICTURE! I think you look GREAT in you Christmas cards, so I don't think it'll take you much to get where you want to be. I really, REALLY want to start scrapbooking again, but I'm not so sure it'll happen this year. I still need to finish Anna's first year one :(. Maybe you could come kidnap me for a week or so, and we could scrapboo together? Thanks for sharing your resolutions so I can bug you about them. I hate making them too, but now I might have to...

    ReplyDelete