Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall In The Air

It's a Friday morning in early Fall in Dallas, TX.  Which means it starts out overcast and semi-cool (ie. low 70's), and by midday it's sunny and 80-90 degrees.  My son is sleeping, and I decided rather than doing the laundry I needed to write a blog update.  It's been two months since I posted anything here.  It's like I'm busy or something.  But on this early Fall morning I have things to say.  So here you go...

1)  My husband turned 30 on Sunday.  You should make fun of him.  I always make him a steak dinner for his birthday, but last weekend was so crazy I didn't prep.  That meant the meat didn't have time to marinate and the mushrooms didn't have time to cook, so he gets his birthday dinner tonight.  Right now my house smells like this:


Pioneer Woman's Burgundy Mushrooms.  Two gorgeous petite sirloin steaks are in the fridge soaking in  Savory Garlic Marinade.  And a large bag of potatoes is waiting to be peeled, cooked, and mashed.  My stomach is not appreciating the fact that dinner is still nine hours away.

2)  My hubby got a day off mid-week yesterday, so we met my sister-in-law and her kiddos at a nearby park.  By the time we left all six of us were wiped out, but we had a great time. 









3)  I pulled out all my Fall decorations yesterday.  You'll be glad to know that my neurotic dog has made progress since last year when this happened.  I always shop the post-Thanksgiving clearance sales for decorations, but last year I didn't do much shopping.  Something about the fact that the smells of pumpkin and cinnamon made me hurl seriously limited my holiday outings last year.  So now I'm scouring Pinterest for budget-friendly Fall craft ideas.  I will most definitely be making these:


Mini pumpkins + Glitter + glue.  Love this!  Anybody have any brilliant decor ideas? 

4)  Sam is almost three months old.  Did you see the picture of him up there?  He's a chunk.  Seriously.  check this out.

At his two month check-up he weighed 12 pounds, 7 ounces.  I'm pretty confident that he's closing in on 15 pounds by now.  I love it when people say "How old is he?  Four months?" and I say "11 weeks" and they gasp and then giggle at his fat baby legs and cheeks.  He's taking Prevacid daily for acid reflux and is a much happier baby than he was for the first 9-10 weeks.  (FYI...your baby can have acid reflux without spitting AT ALL.)  He is still pretty fussy/gripey/whiny most of the time, but that's a million times better than the constant screaming we went through for awhile.  He's very active - constantly kicking, grabbing, squirming - and it's been mentioned to me that he may be getting bored, thus the fussiness.  I've noticed his best days are when we are very busy, so maybe there's some merit to that theory.  He definitely keeps his Mama on her toes! 

He is sleeping through the night in his swing which is the only place he'll sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time.  Soon we'll be making the transition to his crib, and I'm not really looking forward to that battle.  He already has a temper and is showing signs of being seriously strong-willed.  Can I just say that I think it's slightly unfair that I dealt with nine months of nausea, back pain, and leg cramps plus 48 hours of labor and the only resemblance this child bears to me is my nose and my temper?  This kid looks JUST like his Daddy!  He's found his voice, and likes to "talk" to us.  He's very smiley after he eats or when he first wakes up.  I don't think we've seen his true temperment yet, and I'm starting to catch glimpses of a very happy little guy underneath all this fussiness.  Here's a picture of our sweet Sammy Smile.


And here's a video I took for my parents while they are on their annual fishing trip.  Ignore the baby talk.  I just can't seem to help myself.



I say this often, but I'll say it again...If you had told me one year ago that this would be my life I would have laughed in your face.  I have a blog entry floating around in my head regarding being a mother and a recovering control freak, but it'll take awhile to get it from brain to keyboard.  Maybe this weekend I'll find time to type it out.  Or maybe this weekend, like the last several weekends, will be insanely full and over before I know it.  Either way we're enjoying this crazy ride called Parenthood.  Happy Fall from me, the Little Monster, and his mohawk!


1 comment:

  1. Love the pics! Made the glitter pumpkins a couple of years ago, and they turned out great. I would suggest some superfine glitter, but I'm sure anything would do. I'm going to have to go nag Ty into getting my decorations down!

    ReplyDelete