Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Roasted Garlic & Baked Goat Cheese

This might be the most amazing thing I've ever put into my mouth.  And it's so, so simple.  The recipe is from Good Cheap Eats.  It is not low-fat, low-calorie, or low-carb.  It basically has no nutritional benefits.  But it's so good it's worth it, so we have it once every few weeks just to remind ourselves that life is a beautiful thing.    I try to buy my goat cheese at Trader Joe's.  It costs $2.50 for four ounces vs the $5 I would have to pay at Sprouts.  The problem is that the nearest Trader Joe's is 45 miles from me, so it's not like I'm over there all the time.  Plus, with Aaron being off work, every drop of gas is precious and a 90 mile roundtrip for goat cheese and Three Buck Chuck is just not an option.  So I bought the cheese at Costco.  Two 10.5 ounce logs for $5.99.  Bless you, Costco!  I knew there would be leftovers, so I just roasted extra garlic and now there is baked goat cheese and roasted garlic in my fridge just waiting for a day no too far away when I need a little two-minute, carb-filled escape.  Actually, come to think of it, now sounds like as good a time as any. *wink*



Roasted Garlic & Baked Goat Cheese
(slightly adapted from Good Cheap Eats)

2 heads, garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
4 ounce log goat cheese
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
baguette slices

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the top off the garlic heads so that the cloves are exposed.  Lay the garlic on a large square of foil.
  2. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the oil over the tops, allowing it to sink in around the garlic papers. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Wrap tightly and bake for 1 hour.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare the goat cheese for baking. In a baking dish, place the log of goat cheese. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil over the cheese, rolling the log to coat.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and a little more freshly cracked pepper. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over all sides of the log, turning as necessary.
  5. Bake cheese, uncovered for 30 minutes alongside the garlic.
  6. The garlic cloves will practically pop out of their skins. Spread them on baguette slices along with some goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment