Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chutes & Ladders

Disclaimer:  If you blush easily back away now.  This post is rated PG.  

When Aaron pulled a slip of paper out of our at-home date night jar and it said "Chutes & Ladders" he looked at me with a bewildered expression.  And my first thought was "How in the world am I going to blog this?!".  So I did what any girl would do.  I texted my best friend.
"HELP!  This week's Date Night is playing Chutes & Ladders where there are squares that have...um...actions on them and if you land on the square you have to do that action.  How am I going to blog this without completely embarrassing myself?!" 
"Ohhhhhh.  I don't know, but I'm getting some popcorn!" 
"You're not helping." 
"I've rolled 'Sexy Dice' before and I always get weird stuff.  Like 'Lick' and 'Toes'.  Or 'Massage' and 'Earlobe'." 
"The dice think you're a Ferengi!"
"Dangit!  I knew I should've made sure I had the Human version and not the Ferengi Expansion Pack!"
Yes, we really do have conversations like this.  Yes, Star Trek references are regular occurrences.  I couldn't make this stuff up.  Our husbands think we're nuts.  They're probably right.

Anyway, I got this idea from The Dating Divas.  When I first saw this I bought a used Chutes & Ladders game on Amazon for $3.  Instead of actually writing on the game board I used a Sharpie marker and put little stars on every fourth or fifth square.  Then I wrote things on slips of paper and put them in a bowl next to the board.  If you land on a star, you draw a slip of paper.  This gave us the option to change the game up in the future and minimized the risk that some poor, unknowing soul might stumble onto the game and get way more than they bargained for.  I'm not going to go into details here because I'm keeping this family friendly, and some things just don't need to be out there for all to see.  Let me just say one thing.  If you choose to do something like this make sure you include some questions that make you think.  We ended up having a really deep discussion that had very little to do with "the bedroom" and a lot to do with where our hearts really are in this phase of our life together.  

I'm just wondering...here in a year or so when Sam is old enough to play Chutes & Ladders is he going to notice those little stars and ask me what they're for?  Maybe I need to come up with a Silly Preschooler version, too.  *wink*



Next week:  Dessert Contest

No comments:

Post a Comment