Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

Every year since 2006 I have approached Mother's Day with a sense of survival.  That was the year I had my first miscarriage.  Every year I made it through church services where all the mothers were recognized and doted on.  I did something special with my mom, but, no matter how good I was at pushing down my emotions, there always seemed to be a heaviness to the day.

Last week I was watching TV with Aaron and a jewelry commercial came on.  It took me a few minutes to figure out that Mother's Day was only a week away, and realize I hadn't even given it a thought.  This might seem like a callous attitude since I do have a mother to celebrate, but the key here is that for the first time in five years I didn't have to brace myself to get through the day.  I get to celebrate Mother's Day.  Me.  How very surreal!

This morning I got a great Mother's Day gift.  I got to see my son's face for the first time. 

It was squished and a little distorted, and the little guy was absolutely determined to hide behind his arm, but after a little coaxing from the sonographer we got a few good looks.  We were able to determine without a doubt that he is, in fact, a he.  (I do have photographic proof, but for the sake of his dignity you'll just have to trust me.)  This puts my mind at ease considering I have this recurring dream where Sam actually ends up being "Samantha" and there is mass chaos while I try to exchange baby clothes and redecorate the nursery.  It looks like he weighs about three pounds right now which is right on track.  He had both legs flipped up so his feet were by his head.  I don't know how that can be comfortable, but he seemed quite content.

The big question of the day was "whose nose will he have?".  I think it's safe to say that the Jordan nose has been passed down from Papa to Mommy to Sam.  Take a look and see what you think...





And although the Jordan nose may be dominant I'm fairly certain those little legs are muscular like his Daddy's...


We got a recording of a good strong heartbeat (about 150 bpm).  I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that sound.  (Unfortunately, I couldn't post the video, but here's a snapshot.)


Nana and Papa got to be there and see their grandson, too.  Then we all went to lunch, and now it's time for a lazy Saturday evening with my hubby.  We rented A-Team and The King's Speech.  Want to guess who picked which movie? :)

But before I go veg out, because so many people have hassled me for so long, here's a belly pic.  We're one day short of 29 weeks.  Sorry it's a little fuzzy...camera phone. 


Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. You are just beaming with adorableness! :) I look forward to seeing you in August! ♥

    ReplyDelete