Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

An American Hero

On January 2, 2011 America lost a hero.  Major Richard "Dick" Winters of Company E, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne Division passed away at the age of 92.  (Click here to read today's newspaper article).  I won't take much time here to eulogize a man I've never met.  I just feel I would be remiss if I didn't call attention to the life of a man who lived with integrity and honor and who was deeply respected by those who knew him.

If you want to learn more about Major Dick Winters you can read Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose (or watch the HBO miniseries).  He also wrote a memoir called Beyond Band of Brothers:  The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters.  MSNBC has a great article today as well - click here to read it.

My heart goes out to the family of Major Winters and to the men who served under his command in Normandy, Market Garden, and Bastogne.  The sacrifice and bravery of these American heroes will not be forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment